Prep and cooking time: 15-20 mins
This pesto is so easy to make, you can just throw it all together. No need for set amounts just shove it all in a food processor, give it a good mix and it’s ready in minutes.
- 3/4 good handful of fresh basil leaves
- Extra Virgin Olive oil
- Parmesan Cheese
- Pine Nuts
- Optional Extra – garlic and lemon juice
- Your favourite Wholewheat pasta
- Your favourite veg
- First, take a handful of pine nuts and roast them for a few minutes in a hot frying pan. Do not blacken too much as it will impair the flavour later on.
- In your processer, place in the fresh basil and whirl it up for a few seconds.
- Then add the pine nuts, a good handful of grated parmesan, a pinch of salt and a good few glugs of olive oil.
- Give it a good whirl for a few minutes until finally blended together. Have a quick taste, add more salt or oil if needed. For an extra kick add in some garlic or lemon juice.
- Then it’s ready to go, cook up your favourite wholewheat pasta, add in some veg, then your pesto and you have a quick, tasty meal in no time.
Extra tip – keep 50ml or so of the cooked pasta water to make your pesto pasta dish that little bit saucier.
Do share your images and comments of this recipe on AC Running and Fitness’s Facebook or Twitter Page. ‘Train Well, Eat Well, Live Well.’
Happy Running, Happy Cooking
Alex, AC Running and Fitness.