Prep and cooking time: 40-50 mins Serves 4/5
Moroccan style vegetable and bean stew with a zesty kick. A perfect autumn dish leaving you feeling warm and satisfied with plenty of energy ready for the your running the following day.
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tbsp harissa paste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 200ml vegetable stock
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 large aubergine
- 1 lemon
- 1 can butter beans
- 1 can chickpeas
- Wholemeal couscous
- (Optional) Natural or Greek yoghurt
- (Optional) Chopped fresh or dried mint
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan. Fry the onion and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the harissa, cumin seeds and cinnamon. Let it cook for 30 seconds before adding the chopped tomatoes and stock.
- Chop up the aubergine and add to the pan along with the zest of the whole lemon (keep the lemon for later).
- Cover the pan and gently cook for 15/20 mins.
- Add the butter beans, chickpeas and juice of the lemon.
- Cook the couscous to package instructions and an amount to your liking.
- Let the beans and chickpeas cook through then serve with the couscous.
- (Optional) Place a tablespoon full of yoghurt onto the tagine and scatter mint leaves over the yoghurt.
Do share your images and comments of this recipe on AC Running and Fitness’s Facebook or Twitter Page. ‘Train Well, Eat Well, Live Well.’
Happy Running, Happy Cooking
AC Running and Fitness.