Prep and cooking time: 1 hour plus 1-hour soaking time Serves 3-4
This great low glycaemic index (sustained energy), high fibre, protein and iron is highly nutritious with a nutty flavour. This delicious recipe is great to add other veg too e.g. carrots or green beans.
- 250g Yellow Split Peas (soak for one hour before cooking)
- Olive Oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 diced garlic cloves
- 2cm fresh and grated ginger
- 1 red chilli
- 2tsp Garam Masala
- ½ tsp Turmeric
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1L water or veg stock
- 200g fresh spinach
- 1 lemon
- To Serve: brown basmati rice
- Heat 2 tbsp Olive oil on medium heat and fry onions for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger and whole or half chilli (your taste) – cook for 1 minute
- Add garam masala, turmeric and ground coriander – cook for 30 seconds.
- Add soaked and drained split peas and water/stock. Bring to boil and simmer for 50 minutes. Peas will soften and form rich creamy texture.
- Turn off heat. Stir in spinach. Let it wilt and cook in the heat of the pan.
- Squeeze and stir in juice of one lemon. Season with salt and pepper to your taste and serve with brown basmati rice.
Do share your images and comments of this recipe on AC Running and Fitness’s Facebook or Twitter Page. ‘Train Well, Eat Well, Live Well.’
Happy Running, Happy Cooking – Alex, AC Running and Fitness.